Thursday, February 18, 2010

Haha; I get it! Not.


Found via Oddly Specific, this picture makes me sad. Is it supposed to be witty? Ironic? Just knee knocking hilarious?

I don't get it.

It just reeks of ableism to me. Wow, we need some kind of pitch to market our cave system; let's pick on people that are already marginalized by society. It's not like they can read the sign, right?
Jeezus.

Please, like stumbling around in a cave (probably with lights and guides; don't quote me on that though) can give you even a glimpse of what it's like to be blind. I know I have no idea.

I'm pretty sure they could have chosen from a multitude of other slogans to attract tourism; "Welcome to the Very Dark Caves: Watch your step!" or "Welcome to the Very Dark Caves: Guided Tours Available!"

Actually, they should probably change the name too. It's not very creative, and is a lot harder to market than certain other rock formations.

Am I taking this all too seriously? I think not. I mean, way more ableist comments are made with greater severity than this, but brushing this off is just ignoring the problem. And that is definitely not the path to take to a more inclusive and happy society.

Just my $0.02

Yours Truly,

-Sooki

0 comments: